Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Long Term.

Sigh. After a tiring day recovering from my sudden illness and work at Sears, I returned home to find my mother in bed. Jokingly, I climbed beneath the covers and snuggled up to her, asking her creepily if she'd like someone to spoon with. To my surprise, she replied "No, that's why your father sleeps on the couch".

"But after twenty years, don't you still want to spoon and snuggle?" I asked innocently.

"I just end up kicking and poking him until he moves anyway. It's really not all that great" She replied.

It may sound odd, but part of me was disappointed in discovering how my mother felt. It made me start thinking about all the things I would want in my husband and our relationship after twenty years. Because even after that long with someone, I still want to feel madly in love with them.

I want to be able to crawl into bed and snuggle with my husband. I think that is probably going to be my favorite part of being married. I love to cuddle. And to be able to have that same kind of affection for each other after who knows how many years is important to me. I want to be able to snuggle with my husband like we just got married, even if fifty years has passed. I also want to be able to come home and know that it's OUR house, and if I want to walk around in my underwear, I totally can. (And yes, I actually do that) I want to decorate my house for Halloween and Christmas, and curl up by the fire and sip cocoa and do married people things. Like shop for placemats for the dining room table, or pick out paint colors for our bedroom. I want to be as excited to see him everyday as I was in the beginning stages of our relationship. I never want to lose the feelings from the beginning- all the butterflies and anticipation should still be there for years to come. I never want to be bored. I want to be madly in love forever.

I feel like it sounds like a dream, what I'm hoping for. But isn't that what love is supposed to be?

2 comments:

  1. i hope it can happen for you and me both

    ReplyDelete
  2. The butterflies fade a bit, but they're replaced by a stronger...something. I can't describe it with words. I couldn't cuddle very well when we first got married, but I've learned, and I love it. Marriage isn't all happiness and roses, but it's the working together to make it through the tougher times, and becoming closer to someone than you could ever imagine that is the magic part.

    and i fully intend on cuddling with logan for the rest of eternity.

    ReplyDelete