Monday, March 21, 2011

Betta Sweaters

I don't think I have properly introduced my betta.
This is a severe lack of judgement on my part.
I mean, after all, he is probably the greatest thing to happen to me in December

....After, you know...

Moving on.


This is Leonardo.
Not after Leonardo DiCaprio.
He is pretty awesome. He will swim right to the edge of his bowl to greet you, and also blow bubbles at you if you make faces at him. He is slightly spoiled, though, because he will only eat if you feed him one betta bit at a time. But he is so adorable that you give in and do it with love.

Now that you have met him, we can segway into our dilemma.

Poor Leonardo.

We have had to relocate. (Still does not excuse my lack of blogging.) But.
In lieu of recent events, Leonardo and I set sails on what is sure to be a life-altering adventure.

Or death.

But we are hoping for the first option.

Anywho, in our current place of residence, the temperature in my room is slightly below what it used to be.
And by that, I mean I am 7 times more likely to be wearing socks right now. Which I am.

I don't know if you have any knowledge about betta fish or their requirements for life, but let me fill you in on a few things. Betta fish are used to living in a warm, tropical climate in muddy ponds. Their bright colors allow them to attract mates, because only male bettas are colored, whereas the women blend with the mud (Totally gives the ladies the advantage, because they can select the best looking guy while avoiding all the creeper-bettas). Average water temperature they are used to? Between 70 and 80 degrees F.

Now, when the temperature is below this, things become problematic. Leo's little fins start to shiver and he becomes lethargic. He also refuses to eat, thereby spiraling himself into starvation mode. Nothing I can do can make him eat. He will hide in his plant, low by the rocks and when I peer into the bowl to see him, he gives me a look filled with such disdain it stabs me in the stomach. It breaks my little heart to know I am breaking his little betta heart.

He is sitting under my lamp right now, trying to absorb as much warmth as he can from its pathetic rays. I am at a loss! I am fearful for Leonardo. Also for myself. (I can't bring myself to flush him if this ends badly!) Leo is all I have right now...


Is there any way to make him warmer? I made a joke about buying him a betta-sweater on Facebook, and thought I was being clever.

I would just like to say:
Behold the betta sweaters.

I think he would look good in the stripes, what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. i imagined you reading this to me.. i laughed the whole way through. but not because it was funny, but because of the way you read that one funny blog to me.. ya it was AWESOME!! if leo needs a place, Dead Fish Valentine might enjoy another friend... even though they would eat each other alive, but their bowls can be close to each others....

    ReplyDelete